Downspouts and retaining walls

bookworm_brendaMay 22, 2010

We bought a house and the landscaping in front consists of these mounds of earth covered with landscape cloth and mulch. They're maybe 8 inches above the level of the yard and one is probably 6' by 15'. The mulch washes down the sides of the mounds and it's a mess to mow near them. I thought about removing the biggest mound then I thought about building a retaining wall around it. My issue is a downspout. I don't think all the water from the downspout would be good for even a short retaining wall. Would the drainage pipe that I've seen in retaining wall how to videos be enough to handle the flow from a good hard rain? Do I make an exit through the wall for the pipe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_mce(zone 4, NY)

The mulch washes down the sides of the mounds and it's a mess to mow near them. I thought about removing the biggest mound then I thought about building a retaining wall around it.

Not sure what these mounds are for. There are diffent ways you could go, plant them maybe. Do you like them? The simplest thing would be to dump more mulch on top and aim the mower to send flying chips back towards the heap when you mow. If you add more periodically it should stay covered. The current layer is too thin or has started to age out.

My issue is a downspout. I don't think all the water from the downspout would be good for even a short retaining wall. Would the drainage pipe that I've seen in retaining wall how to videos be enough to handle the flow from a good hard rain?

There's a lot of "it depends" in the answer.

Do I make an exit through the wall for the pipe?

If the work involved is reasonable I would consider this a superior solution. If you want to get fancy you could have the water spash into a bowl or something.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™