container size for waltham butternut squash

engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)July 15, 2008

I was wondering if anyone has ever grown butternut squash in a container successfully, and what size would you recommend for a winter squash? I have fairly large seedlings in a ceramic pot that is a minimum 5 gallons, and have some reservations about it being successful. If needed, I have a large bucket that is at least 15 gallons- may even be 20, but it doesn't have any drain holes in it. It's an old red bottom to the first shop vacs that came out in the late 80's, I think. Do you think this might work? I can supply comparison pictures of this one next to a regular 5 gallon bucket- if needed. Any input is appreciated.

EG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justaguy2(5)

I am not much of a squash person so I never tried it, but comparing squash to plants I have grown of similar size and requirements I would say the 5 gallon bucket is fine, but larger gives you, the grower, more leeway in terms of watering. I don't think you will have a significant root restriction issue.

The Sq Ft Gardening method wants 3 plants per 4 sq feet so 1 and 1/3 square feet of volume 6" deep. That would be approximately 5 gallons. (7.5 gallons per cubic foot).

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 11:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

Thanks for posting to this thread, JAG. That makes me feel a little better. Yesterday, I went ahead and moved the plant into the larger "bucket". Best I can figure - it's either 12 or 16 gallons. Although it doesn't have drain holes in the bottom, I feel pretty confident that it'll do ok - as long as I can control the watering of it, and shield it from mother nature, when it rains. I had some mel's mix left over from the sfg, and that's what I filled it with. Thanks again, JAG

EG

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Small container producing good?
hi.. my experiments with potted plants Fertilizers...
amriteanukul112
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™