Mix for Hosta - large volume

jamiedolan(4/5)July 1, 2011

HI;

I'm looking for ideas for what to use for growing Hosta in containers. I need to have something that will stay in the containers without having to put a screen in the pot.

I want to keep it some what inexpensive, but even more importantly, for the volume I need it is too time consuming to have to screen materials. Couple hundred 1 gallon+ pots.

Do you think something like a 70-80% pine bark mulch with the rest peat might work?

What is in commercial soils like miracle grow that give it structure so it does easily wash out of drain holes? Is that just the peat?

Thanks

Jamie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redshirtcat(6a MO StL)

I picked up a good tip for cheap and easy screens from someone in this forum awhile back, I forget who. They suggested fiberglass drywall tape. It is quick and cheap.

Just a thought if you want to try to stick with your normal soil.

I use these 'screens' even in bark based mixes and in the gritty mix. You might want to give it a look - you can do hundreds of pots with a $4 roll of the tape. It takes 1 snip, place it, fill it, done. Literally 2 seconds per pot.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 6:16PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

You're probably not going to find anything a whole lot cheaper than something close to the 5:1:1 mix, unless you base your mix on something free.

If you're using nursery cans, you'll probably get a lot of wash out through the drain holes if you use a peaty mix, unless you partially bury the cans.

Al

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 8:07PM
jamiedolan(4/5)

Thanks redshirtcat, I do have rolls of that around, I'll have to give it a try. I just didn't want to be having customers get pots with big pieces of screen in the bottom.

Hi Al;

I'll have to get some pictures posted. You probably remember that we moved many of our house plants to your mix later last year. We also started using foliage pro. The vast majority of plants did exceptionally well over the winter.

In the mix we made last year, we used turface in it, which made it a little more expensive. I stopped at the local hardware store and found some small western bark mulch for $5 a bag. It looks far superior to the best bark mulch I found last year. It is very consistent in size and doesn't appear to have have much in the way of fines in the bag. I don't think it will need to be screened. I'll get some pictures of this bark mulch and post.

Thanks

Jamie

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
Soil for elephant ear plant?
I'm getting ready to plant an elephant ear plant in...
bunky_mi
Transplanting between containers
I'm looking for a rule of thumb for proper transplanting,...
cakbu z9 CA
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
Root bound jasmine separation
HI.. It is a first time I disturbed a rootball of...
amriteanukul112
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
Sponsored Products
Zettel'z 5 Chandelier by Ingo Maurer
$1,135.00 | Lumens
Rizza Outdoor Loveseat
Grandin Road
Club Outdoor Teak Slipper Chair with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Dolphin Outdoor Recliner with Cushion, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
PetiteTreats Scalloped Pink Cupcake Stand
Classic Hostess