Okra pot size?

LoveTheDirtApril 22, 2012

I am growing Clemson spineless okra from seed. The seeds already came up and I want to keep them in containers. What would be a good pot size to grow the okra plants in? Also, what type of soil should be used for these okra plants?

This is my first Time growing okra so thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I grew okra for the first time last year, so I'm no expert. But FWIW, I grew three emerald okra in a 15 gallon container in the 5-1-1 mix discussed in the container forum (5 parts pine bark fines, 1 part peat and 1 part perlite). They grew seven feet tall and the pot was filled with roots by the end of the season. So my guess is you would need a pot that holds at least 5 gallons for each plant. You also will probably need to stake them (I did) and find a way to keep the pot from being blown over in the wind. I grew them about the same way I grow peppers, with regular fertilizer and allowing them to dry out between waterings. They turned out pretty well and had few pest problems. Plus, the flowers are very pretty. You just have to remember to harvest each okra as soon as it gets 3-4 inches, or the plant will stop producing.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 2:22PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree you'll need as big a container as possible - like a half whiskey barrel or bigger - and stake or tie it somehow as okra will get very very tall.

As to what 'soil' to use? No soil. Soil-less mix only as with all containers.

Dave

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 2:43PM
tracydr(9b)

I used huge, 30 gallon tubs. 2 plants per tub. They did quite well in this.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 10:31PM
gardenman101(Z6 Spingfield, Ma)

I grew my clemson spineless in 5gal buckets sunk 1/3 into the ground. I used regular potting soil with some compost mixed in. I harvested quite a bit of okra with absolutely no problems what so ever. The plants got to be 4-5 feet tall. I wouldnt go less then 5gal, and you can get thebuckest pretty cheaply.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 10:11PM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

If you're not in a hot summer zone, use dark coloured containers. Okra likes warm soil.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™