Potting on perennials

jazzykJuly 16, 2013

Hi I am new to this forum and based in Cambridge,UK. I am also very new to gardening.
I bought a number of young perennials - yellow storkbill, potentialla arc de ciel, night whisper daylily, tangerine dream coneflower and alstroemeria inca exotica in containers in March this year. I immediately loosened the rootball and potted them into a pot with compost 1-2inches larger than the original. The plants have all successfully grown and currently flowering. I realise that I can see some visible presence of roots through the bottom drainage holes - however the roots are not coming out of drainage holes yet. I have read so many suggestions but I am still unclear when to pot onto a larger container. Post-flowering in Autumn which will help protect roots over winter or next spring?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks JazzyK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

With my perennials I am always making more of them either by division or cuttings. Most require cutting back to make a fuller plant, and all those cuttings are easily rooted for most perennials. I have built up good inventories of Altromerias and Daylilies through divisions. Al

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 9:34AM
jazzyk

Thanks for information regards cuttings/divisions. But to clarify perennials are very young plants so they currently are 4L containers. At this stage I don't think they are mature enough to take cuttings/divisions - I thought you divide them once 2-3 years old. So I was wanted to replant them into a large container but I am unsure whether I can do this now while they are in active growth and flowering or wait til either autun or next spring.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 12:49PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

To determine if my perennials need potting up to a larger sized container, I knock them out of their pots and take a look at the roots. If they are starting to circle the inside of the pot, I will carefully pot to larger size. With most mixes the roots will hold the mix together and not be disturbed when potting up. Most plants will take this move anytime, without causing a stress. If you are using a gritty mix it will fall off the roots, and I would wait for the plants dormancy when root disturbance is better tolerated. Al

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Container Garden Vacation Watering
I'll be leaving for my wedding at the end of June and...
meawea
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
glowing pots
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I...
mystmaiden
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Sponsored Products
Casdon Kids Play Pan Set - 502
$15.99 | Hayneedle
Small White with Dark Teal Splatter Ceramic Spin'n Pot
| Dot & Bo
T-Fal 12-quart Stock Pot and Lid
Overstock.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Ivory/Gold 4 ft. x 6
Home Depot
Floral Blue Patina Copper Hose Pot - Without Lid
Signature Hardware