decorative fencing for turtles

casey414June 17, 2010

I've been trying to think of ideas and I'm stumped so I thought I would try a forum to see if anyone else had any ideas. Here's my issue...

I just bought my first house and the backyard is a blank slate. It's all grass and no landscaping at all. I have box turtles that are currently living at my parents house waitng to be moved to my new house, but I need a place for them to live. I would like to make a pen for them in my yard but I want it to look like a garden. It will need some kind of fencing to keep them in but I can't think of anything that would be attractive. It would have to be at least 12 inches high so they can't climb over it. I think I would prefer the fencing to be see through so that the plants will be visible but any ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

Have you browsed through decorative edgings. There are any number of kinds meant to line flower beds and quite a few are at least 12 inches. You could have a low picket fence built or cut bamboo in different lengths and stick them in the ground next to each other-- that wouldn't be see through, but would be effective if you had tall plants behind it.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 1:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Almost any of the picket fence or wire hoop fences would keep a turtle in if the turtles are wider than the openings. And unless they can jump, you don't need more than a 12-inch fence. People can look right over that.

Go ahead and make it a garden - they can eat the low stuff and you eat the tall stuff. I understand they like fruit and hollyhock leaves.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™