Where to put red twig dogwoods

ls8989June 20, 2012

Starting new thread bc I've had other questions lately. I bought a dozen three gallon red twig dogwoods bc they were marked down to $5 each and I have no idea where to put them. We are redoing our back yard and it is heavily wooded at the rear with a few areas at the top of the yard that get morning light shade and hot afternoon sun for about four hours. Can these take more shade here in Georgia? I've never had them before and it makes sense for them to have something behind them to show off those red twigs in winter. Most of the pics I've seen show them in a line but it looks a bit like a hairbrush when you do that. Any suggestions, other than "stop buying plants that aren't on your landscaping design plan"?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brad Edwards

http://landscaping.about.com/od/shrubsbushes/p/redtwig_dogwood.htm

Hate to throw google on you, but without pictures its too little info. This is a good read about red twig dogwoods.

Georgia is a lot more diverse than here in Georgia, you have zone 9 coastal SE Georgia "or close to it", then all the way to the mountains near TN.

Personally I would put them where you don't have a lot of evergreens for extra winter umph.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 3:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Blossom_Designer(5)

In my experience, dogwoods tend to be pretty adaptable to both sun and shade. I think your dogwoods would be fine with light morning shade and afternoon sun.

As for the planting design, you might consider planting them in small clusters of, say, 3-5 shrubs each. You could plant groundcover, such as vinca and sweet woodruff, around them if those plants grow well in Georgia.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™