Morning glory flowers?

containergirlJuly 12, 2006

Is there something special I have to do or provide to get morning glories to flower? At what point do they do it? I think I remember reading that they like to have crowded roots to flower, or else they just keep vining. Not sure mine are crowded enough.

Jenny, just tell me to be patient again!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

I planted "Scarlet O'Hara" and "Grandpa Ott" 3 years ago and every year since, I get volunteers popping up in all of my pots and in the astroturf the entire length of my balcony. The volunteers that I allowed to remain started blooming a couple weeks ago. I don't know if they necessarily have to be crowded to bloom although if they are, that would certainly stress them and probably trigger them to bloom as a response. It seems that direct sowing (or perhaps winter sowing or letting them self-sow rather than starting indoors), results in them growing faster, with thick, healthy vines.

I guess it's a matter of patience! LOL Once they start growing and blooming, they keep on going until frost.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 8:58AM
containergirl

They'll grow in astroturf?!? Crazy! Mine are going gangbusters, just not blooming. They're almost to the top deck - tomorrow maybe. They grow so amazingly fast! Hoping for blooms sometime soon. So is my daughter - her favorite color is blue, and these are the Clark's Heavenly Blues. She keeps asking about the blue flowers.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 4:07PM
kathi_mdgd

Mine are and always do grow like crazy and bloom the same way.Every year we cut them all the way down and they come back in bloomin' glory every year.Of course i'm in S.Calif,so we don't really have any real cold weather to speak of.Mine also have geraniums inter twined with them.
Kathi

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 11:07PM
Barbaraga(GA 7a)

I'm in north Georgia, and mine just began blooming last week. Don't know if it's size, age, or weather that controls bloom time. I transplanted these into a pot on the deck from volunteer seedlings.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 3:54PM
Bonbon_N_KS(5b)

I've heard, if you mist them, it encourages blooms.... I tried it on my passies, they bloomed, not sure if it was the misting, thou...

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 4:38PM
manzomecorvus(Austin TX 8B)

Morning glories seem to bloom best when they have a lot of a lot of water and a little root crowding. I also think that they do better if they are allowed to "naturalize" to your area.

I started with Heavenly Blue seedlings from a nieghbor's yard and have let them self sow for the past 4 years. I pot up the seedlings as they come up and each year they are a bit stronger with more blooms. If its cold when I plant them, I pile rocks at their feet to keep the roots warm (you can do this with all the tropical vines, and its makes a huge difference in the size of your vines). My problem is they have started changing colors each year! Red, blue, you name it..so much for a garden plan!

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 9:20AM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Here are my MGs this morning. It has been sortof bright but hazy this morning and I had to flash the scene, but I was happy to see my hummers actually nectaring out of the open flowers earlier this morning (normally I only saw them use them after they closed in the evening):

All these millions of MG vines are the volunteers that sprouted and I trained them to go around a home-made trellis support and the shepherd's hook with my hummingbird feeder. There are also scarlet runner beans and hyacinth beans running up the trellis. The SRBs were blooming last month and a little this month and I'm still waiting for the HBs to bloom. Should be soon!

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 9:22AM
kathi_mdgd

I have no idea what the names of these are,all i know is that they are morning glories.The picture that shows the castor bean plant as well is the backside of the morning glories on the canyon side.

This next one is the backside (canyon side) of it.

These were taken at 5:30 pm,so not a lot of blooms open.

Kathi

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™