Wasps on balcony wisteria

londonJuly 26, 2011

I have a really fast-growing wisteria right outside my kitchen window, in a small container on a small apartment balcony. The wisteria has attracted a wasp that is present every day and is only interested in that plant. I hesitate to open the window and don't want to disturb the wasp when I water all the plants--sometimes three times a day in this heat.

Any ideas (short of toxic chemicals or throwing out the wisteria) on how I can get rid of this wasp? I only see one of them but there may be more.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

machine gun no a wasp trap

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 6:49PM
london

Um, thanks. The wasps are multiplying fast. What's a wasp trap, aside from the wisteria?

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 9:12PM
Joe1980(5)

Wasp & hornet traps are available pretty much anywhere. You put in a sugary liquid, and a chunk of meat of some sort. They fly in, and can't get out. Problem is, it actually attracts more wasps & hornets. If you want them gone, get some aerosol pyrethrin spray. It'll knock them right down, and the stuff is pretty safe, safe enough to be used indoors. Look for anything labeled "kitchen bug killer" or something similar. Check out the active ingredients listed, and look for it to be pyrethrin. "Hot Shot" makes it, in a blue can.

Joe

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™