ground cover bark?

PoorOwner(Northern CA)June 19, 2008

We have a backyard patio and further away is a soil area, I have planted a few trees and shrubs there and it looks very nice.. but the weeds are too much and I do not want grass or other green ground cover there.. (watering them would be too much in my hot climate) I am thinking in getting cedar mulch 1-2", although expensive it seems to be very long lasting and I don't mind replenishing every couple of years.. We don't walk barefeet but also want to avoid tracking too much debris onto the patio.

Is there other material you would recommend? I have seen it done in bark nuggets but I don't think it was meant to be walked on?

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeje

Yes, mulching will definitely cut down on the weeding, and it's also good for the soil and the plants you've put in. Wise choice!

I prefer a shredded mulch to nuggets; I find that nuggets easily blow around or get washed out by rain, where the shredded/chipped variety stays in place better for me.

We step directly from our raised patio into a mulched area, and don't find debris to be a problem unless I walk barefooted into the garden - it doesn't seem to cling to our shoes or sandals. It's not all that messy though; just needs a quick sweep every so often.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 11:00AM
karinl(BC Z8)

Around here you can get the material that tree companies accumulate in their shredders for free. I kept some from recent tree work done here and have it spread over the front yard until I decide what surface I want. It has some green mixed in with the shredded wood, but is a nice consistency for walking on and working with. I may just stay with this long term.

KarinL

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 12:27PM
PoorOwner(Northern CA)

Hey thanks for the information, I also want to ask, we built a stone patio on top of the old concrete slab patio, it's about "1 brick high" layed flat, as the brick is used as the edging, so it is naturally higher than the dirt now, should the patio be higher than the dirt or should I at least fill it close to the top of the brick? I worry about tripping but normally I see the brick and step over it.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 12:52PM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Make the mulch deeper, at least 4 inches.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 3:10PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Even if you have selected and planted drought-tolerant plants these will have to be watered at first to be kept alive until they root out into the soil outside the planting holes to a sufficient degree to become independent.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™