Plants that complement bamboos (along back fence)

gardenhereJune 18, 2010

We have a new home and there's absolutely no landscaping yet. Right now, we're deciding what to plant and where and we're planning to plant a row of clumping bamboo along the back fence. They should be tall enough to screen out the two-story apartment behind our house. Now, the question is what to plant in front of the bamboo. Our back of the house faces east so the area is partial shade (maybe some fully shaded). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Something shorter-growing, with big round leaves - for contrast.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 2:29AM
gardenhere

Thanks. I got a similar answer in another forum here as well. I didn't think about the round leaves. That's helpful. It was also suggested that we look for drought tolerant plants since bamboo doesn't require a lot of water.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 3:33AM
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

if you've got room for it, one of the prettiest is the purple-leafed Cotinus Coggygria. But it does need sufficient room to spread out. Loropetalum chinense's Rubrum varieties would be smaller, not so rounded leaved, but also very pretty.

As it's not the season for planting, this is the time to do your research, then do the planting in the fall so you won't need to use a lot of water to get the new plants established.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 4:34PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Actually bamboos are mostly wet climate plants. Up here new spring stem growth will often abort if watering is not timely and thorough.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 12:35AM
gardenhere

Thanks. Someone told me they don't need much water and I took her word for it. I just read watering needs myself. Newly planted bamboo need frequent watering.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 4:36PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

*lol* Newly-planted almost everything needs frequent watering -- and I've planted way too much. Time to go outside and water....

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Small Tree Suggestions
I have a 20 x 20 concrete patio that I'd like to put...
kristinainaustin
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™