Suggestions for front??? I'm stuck.... :(
Hoping for some (cheap) suggestions on overall improvements. Link is to pics of what we've done so far (first 12 shots). The tree in front yard (in 1st pic) already has some hosta and fern under it, just need to border and mulch to finish it.... I also have over 300 red patio pavers if anyone has suggestions for those..... 6x12 rectangular.
I'm stumped, I think, becoz of the odd layout: no sidewalks in front of house, and a narrow walkway from the small front concrete stoop (6' x 6') that runs parallel to right side of house in front, and goes directly to the driveway, which is gravel..... (currently in process of being widened).
I can usually do a half-way decent job of landscaping, but this is boyfriend's house so I can't just do whatever *I* wanna do, I have to clear it with him first. LOL
I am aware that the bush on the right side of house is much too close but he vetoed removing it, afraid it would just cause more problems if roots are under house. We do keep it trimmed.
Current plans include:
1)Rectangular raised beds on both sides of widened driveway, made from landscape timbers, 2-3 levels high. (cheapest)
2) removing excess wood parts and handrails from front porch/stoop, leaving just the concrete slab
3) adding a small (6' x 6') floating deck that will be a step down from the concrete slab. That will bring the edge of the new deck to the edge/corner of the new border bed across front of house.
4)remove narrow walkway. Create new curving path ( C-shaped) from bottom of new deck to driveway.
5) Add at least 1, if not 2, more "layers" of the landscaping border stones in front of house.... as it is now, it just doesn't look "substantial" enough to me, to match the house...... and what else can I put out there in that bed? I think it needs something tall in center, in front of those double windows?? Water feature or trellis/obelisk maybe?
Would appreciate any and all suggestions for:
a) new house/trim color (not too distant future!) What style house is this?? Siding is wood. Have tentatively picked out a new door with crescent shaped window in very top.....
b) something to "pop out" the windows..... shutters? Marquee?
3) any suggestions for the humongously tall section that in reality covers the fireplace chute? I see the paint is peeling there, too, at the top.......
4) Depending on planned paint color, will need suggestions for mulch.... I'm partial to black, then brown/pine.... have red in front bed right now but it looks terrible d/t washed out color of siding....
any and all suggestions are *greatly* appreciated!!!!!