Mandevilla root rot

Mary713July 4, 2012

I have 2 mandevilla's on my deck in containers. In years past they have done exceptionally well, however this year I think I may have over watered them and they are not doing well at all. I believe they may have root rot. Will they recover? or are they done for? Is there something I should do? (obviously not water them.. lol).

Thank you !!

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Do the containers have drain holes ?
Pull them out and changing the potting mix to something dryer is probably the best fix. Or you could just wait n see.You could also add a wick to the bottom hole to help dry out faster.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 10:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Hi, Mary - lift the plant from the pot & inspect the roots for rot. Black - soft - slimy - sour smelling = bad. An earthy smell & plump roots w/white tips = good. Let us know before you act.

You can't change the soil now w/o cutting it back severely, so keep that in mind. Once you figure out the condition of the roots, you'll either be forced to repot the plant to save it or institute a few tricks to help you deal with the water retention.

IF you find out the roots are badly congested for wont of a repot, you'll need to temporarily pot up until spring when you can repot. I'll help you with that too, if you find that's the issue. You might consider adding your zone or a large city near you to the info that appears in your posts, like my z5b-6a mid-MI. It's helpful when we offer suggestions.

Al

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 7:13AM
More Discussions
Browning Zinnia leaves
One of my Zinnia's leaves are starting to turn brown....
patio_garden
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™