bought both Perlite and Vermulite, big bags

jeanwedding(6 ky)July 24, 2011

in big tall 3 foot tall bags cost about $18 for a bag each. Bought a local seed (in our big town.) store...

I read about using them on this forum... Now should I take back the Vermiculite and keep the perlite ?????

I want to try the 5 11 mix and the Gritty mixes in different situations

Also bought new big garbage wheeled carts and Brute platic cans and totes to keep them in......

Thanks yall

Jean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Hi, Jean - I bought a 2 gallon bag of vermiculite about 10 years ago, and I still have about a gallon left. I very rarely use it in soils because I'm usually trying to REDUCE water retention instead of increase it; and vermiculite breaks down very quickly. I honestly don't see (and I don't have) much use for it in container media.

Al

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 8:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

It is true you probably have a lifetime supply of vermiculite. I only use it for some seed starting mixes and have not bought any in the last 20 years, but I would not want to not have ANY. I also keep mine in 30 gallon garbage cans, but I have plenty of room. My vermiculite is a pretty course particle, but I use a cheap spice chopper when I need it smaller. Al

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™