novice gardener seeking advice

bluedesertflower(9)July 27, 2014

Hi i live in phoenix and i have always loved plants so in the beginning of july i bought a rosemary ofici. Plant.i overwatered it at first.it actually had mushrooms breifly at one point,I learned from that mistake but shortly after this the leaves began to turn brown it is still in the nursery pot but i plan on moving it into a terracotta pot very soon.i read online it was from overwatering but not sure any advice kindly accepted.i have a proven winners torenia and a new goodwin creek french lavender aswell.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Rosemary and lavender like their soil dry, free draining and a bit rocky. They also like a full amount of sun. If keeping them in a container, research the Gritty mix on this forum and see if you can create a soil mix close to that.

Those two plants will do much better planted in the ground outside in Phoenix. Or, if you like to cook italian, get a good size pot, mix up some Gritty and plant a little herb garden of rosemary, thyme, lavender and sage. The plants will get big and unmanageable after a while in a communal pot like that, but you'll be able to harvest off them for a season or two.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:41PM
spaceman13(6b)

Go to the store and get some of those little wooden skewers. Put one in the soil, wait 20 minutes. Pull it out. If it is moist, do not water, if it comes out dry, water. Repeat every day until you are comfortable in knowing the watering schedule of the plant.

Mark

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:55PM
spaceman13(6b)

Go to the store and get some of those little wooden skewers. Put one in the soil, wait 20 minutes. Pull it out. If it is moist, do not water, if it comes out dry, water. Repeat every day until you are comfortable in knowing the watering schedule of the plant.

Mark

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:01PM
bluedesertflower(9)

Thanks for the advice im getting to know my plants more each day now i check the soil and only water when the first one or two inches of soil are dry.i would love to plant in the ground but while im in an apartment this is my best try at a mini garden.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™