All leaves are turning white and dying...

robbiroxann22(9a)April 23, 2013

My cucumber plants were doing great. Noticed yellow flowering. All of a sudden the leaves are wilting and turning yellow. Stems seem to be healty. Have not noticed any bugs or anything on the plants. Any hope they will produce veggies?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Powdery mildew.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 2:59PM
AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)

My cucumbers are in pots too...the older leaves look rough and are drying at the ends. I think its normal however yours seem to be lacking significant foliage. What variety is it?

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 3:00PM
robbiroxann22(9a)

As far as the variety, I really have no clue. Started off as a fun project with my son and I have really grown attached to the plants. I bought the seeds from Walmart in a pack. The leaves were very "crispy" if you will. I did pluck them off and leave the flowers to see if it would get better. We had lots of rain last week and the temps dropped to the mid 40s so I wondered if they were temp shocked?? They are planted in the organic soil until I transplanted them to the larger pots about 3 weeks ago they are in regular soil again from Walmart.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 3:08PM
AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)

Did you bring the plant in when the temps dropped? Cucumbers will not do well with temps under 50.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 3:19PM
weirdtrev

It is not powdery mildew, you should have hardened off the plants before you put them in direct sun. They went from a low light situation to full sun and didn't like it. Again plenty of time to start over, they should not be flowering at that size, it is a sign of a stressed plant.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 3:52PM
robbiroxann22(9a)

WeiredTrey, start over as in the entire plant? Today is day 55 that they have been planted from seeds. I started them in peat moss containers and then Good Friday I transplanted into larger pots. I did bring them a few nights and put them back out the next morning. The yellow plants have started this last week.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:12PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Like your zucchini in the other post, these plants look rather leggy. They are flowering while they still have their seed leaves on them. That makes me think they were stressed while they were growing from seed. Premature flowering is a reaction to stress such as insufficient nutrients. They should be strong leafy plants before they start flowering. And they also look as if they were insufficiently hardened off. And finally there is the question of the container size, same as with the zucchini.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:12PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Start over yes. That plant can't be saved.

Did you remove all the peat pot when planted? If not then that is just another problem for this poor plant.. Get a bigger container, fill it with any good soil-less potting mix and plant seeds in it directly. Cukes do not like to be transplanted unless absolutely necessary.

You might also want to do some reading over on the Container Gardening forum here. Lots to learn first to save yourself all these problems.

If you are going to try growing things from seed indoors then some reading on the Growing from Seed forum too will be of a big help if for no other reason than to avoid the leggy plant problems.

Dave

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:39PM
robbiroxann22(9a)

thank you so much. I am so glad that I found this site and joined. I am learning so much. It pretty much has to be container planting based on the rental property until next year. If anything it has been a great experince for my son and I researching and reading and watching the plants go from seed to plant. Thank you all.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:44PM
weirdtrev

It is always unfortunate when you are given bad news. If you really want to learn the most out of this and truely are limited to pots, then I say start new plants and keep the old ones going as long as they can. You can compare the difference between direct seeded and transplated squash/cucumbers. To have the best chance you want to get as large of pots as you can find, half whiskey barrel size is preferrable.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™