Wish me luck...and any advice?

serge94501July 21, 2013

I took the 5-1-1 plunge today. It was easy as there was so much good info I got here from searching. I mixed up a batch, tossed in some lime and CRF and looked for my first victim.

I bought a rooted cutting of a Blanquette fig (not very popular in the US from what I can tell) last September and it's been doing OK in its small pot until very recently when some leaves started to yellow.

I am sure the best time to re-pot a fig is over the winter, but I watched a much larger Peter's Honey Fig languish in a pot and now it looks worse than Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, and I didn't want the Blanquette to suffer the same fate.

I took out the fig, washed down the rootball, gently loosened some roots that were starting to bind, and layered it into the pot with the 5-1-1 mix. After it was in nicely I gave it a good drenching. I know the tree is going to have some transplant shock.

So, I will water it every day with a weak fertilizer solution. Any idea what a good NPK ratio is for a fig in 5-1-1? Thanks and wish me luck. The Charlie Brown tree is next - I am sure it can be saved.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

S...you will be fine. I always recommend buying a cheap moisture meter. They actually work well. I have been surprised how well my 5-1-1's hold water. You may find the same. goodluck

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 3:02PM
calistoga_al

You have probably read on this forum that any repotting and the root disturbance involved will cause a stress to the plant, and of course that is true. What is not often mentioned is NOT repotting a plant being stressed, and watching it continue to decline. Often the result of a fresh mix will far outweigh any stress caused by root disturbance. Al

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 10:27AM
shazaam(NC 7B)

As far as fertilizer options go, I've had very good results with Foliage Pro and Osmocote Plus this year (both are 3:1:2 ratios).

Here's a photo from late March of one of four quart sized figs that I bought from Edible Landscaping. All were of comparable size and were bare root transplanted to Al's 5-1-1 mix in 7 gallon terra cotta pots. I top dressed them shortly thereafter with 4 tablespoons of Osmocote Plus. I've watered them as needed with 1/4 to 1/2 strength Foliage Pro.

Here's a group photo taken today:

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 11:33AM
serge94501

@Al, thanks, that was my guess and I am glad I was on the right track!

@shazaam - wow, nice work! When do you expect to up-pot?

@fireduck, et al...well get a moisture meter, sounds like good advice for a fast-draining mix.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 12:25PM
shazaam(NC 7B)

I might size up to 10 gallons next spring, or I might just leave them in the same pots for another year -- I haven't decided yet. In general, I don't go any larger than 10 gallons because I like to be able to move my marginally hardy potted fruits under cover for the winter. I've found anything larger is just to difficult to handle on my own.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™