Vertically Challenged

lindasewandsew(So Cal 9)July 11, 2011

My friend Edna gave me these plastic terra cotta color lawn edgings. They're turned upside down, fastened with wire to a metal rack and planted with sedum starts. The letters are cut from license plates and attached with small metal screws to an old metal sign that's painted black and splattered with terra cotta color paint. It's 60 inches tall and 18 inches wide. Of course, the soil mix if from Al's recipe. The plants seem to love that soil. Thanks again Al. The most surprising part is that it's actually finished, lol. Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
howelbama(7 NJ)

Looks really nice! How are you watering? By hand?

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 11:02PM
lindasewandsew(So Cal 9)

Thanks howelbama. I have no grass in the yard, just some flower beds and containers, and water everything by hand. Most plants in the yard are drought tolerant and need no water, so it's not too difficult. Linda

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 1:42AM
littleluey(Zone 9)

that is a great idea, my wife will like that. What brand are those edgings? i tried searching for them on lowe's and home depot web sites but no luck

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 4:33PM
lindasewandsew(So Cal 9)

Thanks, littleluey. Those edgings may be old and no longer manufactured, but we can't know for sure. Edna found a lot of them at a yard sale. I found 4 at a thrift store but have never seen them anywhere else. Here's a photo of some in her yard. The tops of mine are rounded off with a razor blade. They look ok either way. There are some that look like bricks and rocks that could probably have one side cut off to achieve the same idea. Everything's an experiment, lol. Linda

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 2:10AM
littleluey(Zone 9)

you are right Linda, thanks for the idea anyway. I will keep my eyes open for those. I went to Lowe's and i saw the brick ones you mentioned but find them too shallow.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™