Location of trellised plants

RynofashoApril 16, 2014

I'm brand new to gardening and trying to soak up as much info as possible, but as I'm sure you know, the internet is a bottomless pit of info so I'm trying to make sure I have it right.

Anyhow, I'm looking to grow some vine tomatoes, bell peppers, and pole beans, all interplanted on long trellises and stakes. I was wondering about placement in the garden. If you see the picture attached, I have an awkward space but it is a decent size for the suburbs. The left side of the triangle runs almost exactly north south. I was going to run a trellis all along that 'arm' if you will, and then also along the right 'arm' as it runs NW/SE, but should cast shadows behind the planter. Does that sound like an idea?

Also, for people with awkward spaces, what do you do about crop rotation? I only have so many choices of where to plant tall plants so as to not shade the rest of the garden, so I was looking for some feedback. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
howelbama(7 NJ)

You want your tallest plants (trellised or otherwise) on the northern side of your garden so they don't shade out anything.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 3:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenper(8)

Crop rotation was more of an idea for larger planting areas where it may not have been possible to replenish the nutrients there for the next season (or two), including not having enough compost to cover the entire growing area.

However, in backyard plots, you can do that with compost or other nutrient mixes for the small quantity of planting that you will do.

You can still use the idea of square foot gardening in your yard, so you can make more use of the growing space.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
Earthworms in the pots?
Last year I was late with my compost preparation for...
galinas
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Asparagus help
Hello All, I'm going to start an Asparagus patch this...
nick0001
What Bugs Are In My Garden?
I am growing artichoke, kale, a spider plant and a...
safersaturnx
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™