Can someone tell me what this is on my tomato leaves?

alpeldunasJuly 11, 2013

I posted in the gardening tomatoes forum, but haven't gotten any replies yet. I would like to know what I'm dealing with before I leave for vacation on Sunday. If this tomato needs to be removed, I would like to do it ASAP before it spreads to my other plants. If it's something that can be managed with copper spray and pruning, that would be good news.

A couple days ago, I noticed it looked like some of the leaves of my tomato plants were turning black in places. Upon further inspection, there are many black specks comprising the black areas. I sprayed with copper yesterday (as I have been, but the rain isn't helping that) and this morning, the black has spread and looks much worse. I also see some brownish, dry looking spots that I think are septoria, but a good portion of the leaves have the black specks on them and it's getting worse. So far, I haven't noticed anything on my other plants, save a couple leaves with just a few tiny specks that I suppose I should remove.

I think this is bacterial speck and maybe some septoria as well, but I'm worried it could be TSWV. My cooperative extension office can't help. The plant guy is on vacation until next week and VA Tech's lab is closed until August. I'm hoping someone here can give me some info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycgarden(6)

I get that sometimes. Looks like potassium deficiency. If you increase your fert. regiment should be ok.

Link below for diagnosing tom. plant problems that someone else on the forum posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Diagnosis of Mineral Deficiencies in Plants

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:39AM
prestons_garden(9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoCal)

Black spot fungus.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 12:23AM
ZenYang(7a)

I'm having the same problem as well! Did you find out what it was?

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 6:56AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Have you had alot of rain? Had some black spotting similar to that on one of my plants this year. I removed the affected leaves and sprayed........haven't seen it since.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 10:54AM
shazaam(NC 7B)

Like Ed, I've also seen similar spotting on tomato and potato leaves after periods of heavy rain. In my case, at least, it seemed to be more of a nutrient/water issue than disease. I also have firsthand experience with septoria, and your photo certainly doesn't look like septoria to me. At least at this stage, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. It might be fungal, but the definitive sign for me would be further white/yellow discoloration around the black spots.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 11:21AM
fireduck(10a)

why not spray for fungal issues? This condition (fungal) is so common on tomatoes.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group GLA-8706 - Aero 6 Light Bath Bar - Tapered Cylinder Shade -
$720.00 | Hayneedle
Lightray Outdoor Flush Mount
Lightology
Rotary Tray by Vitra
$80.00 | Lumens
Reflections Microfiber Tablecloth
Overstock.com
Robert Abbey Ant Bee Swing Arm Brass Pharmacy Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Fabbian | Ray Floor Lamp
YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™