Seeding new yard

War_EagleJune 12, 2013

About to finish new construction on a one acre lot. We tried to plop the house down into the woods so there is a lot of shade. Grass/beds will be needed around perimeter of house (50 feet or so). I have a "do not disturb area" in front of house because of a creek....that I eventually will clean out underbrush and put in some grass as well...but not a priority now. The city requires landscaping to be done in order to get a CO. I have seen some seed (I believe Pennington) that is sold at big box stores that advertises as "partial shade" and another that is "total shade." My concerns: 1. time to get it going 2. If it rains how do I keep the seed in place. My fear is that I would have the ground perfect (rocks/roots gone, flat, etc....) and we have a gully washer that erodes and washes my seed away. 3. Money is an issue thats why I am not calling the local landscape folks to come and lay sod. THE PICS posted are from about 2 months ago.
USDA Zone 8A

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
War_Eagle

Back of house.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:48AM
War_Eagle

View from the street several months ago. With leaves out now you cant even see the house.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:50AM
gardengal48

FYI - turf grasses do not grow in "total shade" regardless of what the package label may say. Some grass types are more shade tolerant than others but total shade? No way!

Not sure where you are located but in my area, summer is the least desirable time to seed a lawn - primarily becasue the cool season grasses that do best in this area want to go dormant in summer and also because you need to water constantly - like 2-3 times a day or more.

But needs must - if you can't wait for a lawn, sod is more advisable but if you can't, you can't. Cover any new seed immediately with a thin layer (1/2 inch) of screened compost or fine soil. This will help to prevent the seed washing away, getting consumed by birds or drying out too quickly. And water as often as necessary to keep seed consistently moist.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:16PM
dekeoboe(7B NC)

Have you considered using an erosion control mat?

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Drainage issues!
Hoping the drainage experts can contribute. We have...
mrsgoss
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™