Using compost tea as well as Foliage Pro?

milocrabJuly 6, 2011

Hello everyone. I posted a while back about my plans to grow vegetables organically indoor in containers. After much reading now, I think I might have to ditch the idea and go with Al's recommended Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 instead. Another reason that lead me to abandone the "organic" theme is because my first harvest of vermicompost contains LOTS of mites. I just can't get past myself to add the mites into my (future) indoor plants - please note I haven't started anything yet, still in the planning stage.

I live in an apartment and do not have the luxury of a garden; and since I have already started a vermicomposting bin, I was wondering if there is anyway that I can make use of the stuff? I'm not going to add the vermicompost into my potting mix - which consists of 3 parts coconut husk chips, 3 parts perlite, 3 parts baked akadama, and 1 part peat. Is there any benefit if I make aerated vermicompost tea and use it once a week maybe? The rest of the times I will use VERY diluted foliage pro 9-3-6 to water. Can the 2 be used together? Another question is, do I still need to add gypsum and epsom salts since I have coconut husk chips in my mix? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stropharia(8b louisiana)

Foliage Pro should be an adequate fertilizer on its own. Adding compost tea would only encourage other organisms to inhabit the containers: fungi and gnats immediately come to mind. Perhaps give the compost to a friend with an in-ground garden?

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Fabric Pots - Decor Question
Good afternoon everyone. I'm thinking of growing a...
veegardens
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
Repotting into 5-1-1 soil. Questions about 511 materials.
Hey all! I am a newbie with 5 container citrus. Right...
emilygreenie
Sponsored Products
Olympia Burnt Sienna Three-Light Vanity with Baltic Amber Glass
$230.00 | Bellacor
Lapis Cabinet Pull
Signature Hardware
Verve Chair in Moss
| Dot & Bo
Authentic Models MF200 Campaign Stacking 5-Piece Unit Set
Beyond Stores
'Hiding From Wife' Iron Wall D├ęcor
$9.99 | zulily