take pity on a newb (compacting dirt)

lovegood(9a)July 30, 2014

IM a total newb and maybe someone will see this and take pity on me...

Im specifically looking for information on garden soils in containers. I've been attempting to compost my topsoils rather than purchase dirts, and I'm just unsure of what I should be doing to maintain a good plant container. My garden soil was composted for about a year. (the pic is just from during that time it was composting.)
This created such a beautiful dark dirt (from a clay based dirt) and I've been using it with fairly good results so far. But Im wondering if Im supposed to mix it with some other medium to help it be "lighter", since the dirt in my containers are starting to compact. (Im pretty sure this is bad?) If anyone can direct me to a thread or article on this I'd really appreciate it. Until then, I'm going to keep browsing the forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jane__ny(9-10)

Garden soils are not the best media for container plants. If you want to use it, you can lighten it up with some perlite and small wood chips.

Jane

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:47PM
calistoga_al

Welcome to the GardenWeb. There is a wealth of information on soils for container use on this forum. Spend a few hours reading what has been offered, and most all your questions well be answered. Al

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 10:21AM
jodik_gw

The link below will take you to a thread absolutely loaded with excellent information on container soils and related issues... it's a great starting point for the "newbie"!

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Container potatoes in straw?
I tried growing potatoes in straw in garbage bags last...
beesneeds
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™