*New Container Garden*...Advice? Tips? Words of Wisdom?

kissingfrogs2003July 10, 2011

Just moved into a new place in IL from CA. I am expanding my efforts in container gardening big time. Out in Cali I had some success with herbs, tomatoes and strawberies. I also learned the cruel world of bolting and improper sunlight (hence my tiny tom tomatoes growing 3 feet tall!!)

In my new place I get full sun, west facing.

I am planning to grow the following:

Strawberries (unsure of variety)

Carrots (little finger)

Edamame (envy soybeans)

Radishes (Sparkler)

Romaine (Tom Thumb) and Spinach (melody) **same container**

Corn (oriental baby)

And various herbs (Basil, cilantro, parsley, dill, oregano, chives, sage, thyme)

Any advice or tips to help me out- especially given the new environment?!?!

I am also wondering if the varieties are OK for containers and if so, what size for the veggies and herbs. I suffocated oregano in my last garden and want everything to thrive this time :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
btbarbara(7b/8a)

This is my first year container gardening so you can pretty much take everything I say and do the opposite! If you have a place to hang something, try strawberries in hanging baskets. You can put 3-4 plants in one regular basket and they're beautiful with the green leaves, white and pink flowers, and red fruit.

As far as the other stuff, all I can say is whatever size container you think is good, go a little bigger. Pretty much everything I've done this year, I wished I had used a little bigger container.

Also, self-watering containers are worth it! I'm not really sure if I'm over-watering or under-watering but the plants I have in self-watering containers consistently look much better than the others. I haven't decided whether to do containers again next year or some raised beds but if I do containers, I plan to make some self-watering boxes this winter.

Hopefully somebody here will have better advice for you. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™