Should I be concern with planting now?

grodri02June 17, 2013

Hello,

I hired a landscaping company/nursery to do the landscaping of my new construction home in Long Island, NY. They will be planting bushes, perenials, a tree and soding the front. Should I be concerned that I am doing this in summer? I will be also have irrigation so everything will be able to get watered. Im just concerned because this was not cheap and I dont want to have any plants dying on me.

Thank You

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Express your concerns to your landscaper and ask them what they do if plants die. If they offer a guarantee, get it in written form.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:15PM
yardvaark

and with irrigation, it's not likely that plants will die.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 8:31PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

You are right to be concerned, and you should review your written contract to see what replacement guarantees are stated, and for what period. Installation during summer, even with irrigation, can be stressful on plants, especially if they aren't well watered before installation, or you get an extreme heat wave during the first couple of months, or the rains aren't regular. You will definitely want to keep an eye on the weather, and also closely keep tabs on the plants. If you have no guarantees, or for too short a period,(6 months for shrubs and 1 year for trees is customary here in California), then it might be better to delay installation until fall if you can.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:31PM
grodri02

Thank you for your comments.

They guarantee their work for two years. But you are right, I will get them to put it in paper.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:34AM
yardvaark

Having the guarantee in writing is necessary as an oral guarantee might possibly be equal to zero years of protection. (Actually, two years would be unheard of in any place I've ever worked.)

What's the likelihood that landscape installation companies--who must guarantee the work-- close their doors and go out of business during the summer months? Zero. Would they continue to work if it meant that all their efforts must be done over again in the fall? Not hardly. It is irrigation systems that make planting all summer possible. The idea that landscapes with irrigation systems ALSO require regular rains in order for plants to live is nonsense.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 11:10AM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Irrigation does allow planting in summer, but things can malfunction. It happens. if a certain sprinkler is misdirected or otherwise not functioning properly during a heat wave, some plants could be lost. Best to have "promises" in writing.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Help with paint colors and landscaping please!
Please help me create a home from this tiny house!...
H
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, ** I also posted this in the tips and techniques...
aligal266
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™