How do I care for a small topiary tree in a container?

oberciAugust 25, 2012

I don't know much about this, and before I just go off and kill a plant I figured I would ask for advice here first. I really love these little Lemon Cypress ball topiaries but I'm having a hard time finding information on how to care for them.

-Can these be grown indoors near a well-lit window?

-If not, can they still be in containers outside? What conditions do they require? Would my zone be good for growing these?

-Can these be kept small (~2 ft to top of ball)? How small is the minimum?

-How large of a container do these require?

If it's completely implausible to grow one of these, I'd love to hear recommendations on any similar looking plants that I can try. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I grow several examples of a close relative of your plant in containers (Cupressus pygmaea - dwarf Mendocino cypress) and I really like them. I'm sorry to say that I don't think you'll have much luck treating them as a houseplant. The three main reasons are, they like a cold winter's rest; they need full sun, and indoor light is probably not going to satisfy them; and they need air movement to help keep them pest free. I would look at air conditioning and central heating as a disadvantage as well - if those considerations are in play.

Your zone is ideal for growing them outdoors, but I'd give them some protection in winter if the temperature is expected to drop below 25-28*.

The plant can be kept VERY small with regular attention to grooming, and if you learn how to prune the roots when you repot (as opposed to potting up) you can keep them in very small containers for a very long while.

A similar looking plant would be rosemary. You could also try a Shimpaku juniper (Juniperus chinensis/sargentii 'Shimpaku'), which would need no winter protection.

Al

If you're interested in maintaining a woody plant in a container for the long term, see the link below for more help.

Here is a link that might be useful: More about woody material in containers ....

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 4:42AM
More Discussions
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™