Mix for very large container?

aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)August 1, 2012

I have two large [ugly, standard] bathtubs with plenty of drainage holes* and I want to repurpose them to large raised beds for annuals - both winter and summer. I haven't decided if I want shade or sun - but if I put them in a spot between a crepe myrtle & mimosa, I can have winter sun & summer shade.

What's the best type of mix to put in a container that large? Gritty would be too cost prohibitive, but the 5-1-1 would probably be not much more than buying a "premade" soil. But is the 5-1-1 good for something that size?

Picture of basically what I want to do: http://blog.littleinsights.com/2009/04/30/reclaimed-wood-planter-box.aspx

Story on unfortunate bathtubs can be seen here:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/frugal/msg0709504729656.html?4

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

The 511 would be good for something that size. Since you need a lot of mix definitely check out local mulch suppliers. If you have access to a pick-up truck you can probably get a half-yard (or a yard) of double-ground pine bark CHEAP. Last year we bought a half-yard for about $15, and it lasted us 2 years. The double ground stuff is perfect for making the 511 mix....just add a little perlite, lime, and CRF if you want, and you're all set.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 10:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)

Haha, the only thing that has been putting me off from making the 5-1-1 was wanting to buy a tiny bag of dolomitic lime (which was out at HD last time I went). Now I may as well get the bigger bag if I'm going to fill two tubs.

Woot! I feel a trip to the "big city" coming up... hopefully tomorrow, so I can visit the Habitat for Humanity ReStore and various thrift stores.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™