Mix for very large container?

aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)August 1, 2012

I have two large [ugly, standard] bathtubs with plenty of drainage holes* and I want to repurpose them to large raised beds for annuals - both winter and summer. I haven't decided if I want shade or sun - but if I put them in a spot between a crepe myrtle & mimosa, I can have winter sun & summer shade.

What's the best type of mix to put in a container that large? Gritty would be too cost prohibitive, but the 5-1-1 would probably be not much more than buying a "premade" soil. But is the 5-1-1 good for something that size?

Picture of basically what I want to do: http://blog.littleinsights.com/2009/04/30/reclaimed-wood-planter-box.aspx

Story on unfortunate bathtubs can be seen here:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/frugal/msg0709504729656.html?4

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

The 511 would be good for something that size. Since you need a lot of mix definitely check out local mulch suppliers. If you have access to a pick-up truck you can probably get a half-yard (or a yard) of double-ground pine bark CHEAP. Last year we bought a half-yard for about $15, and it lasted us 2 years. The double ground stuff is perfect for making the 511 mix....just add a little perlite, lime, and CRF if you want, and you're all set.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 10:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)

Haha, the only thing that has been putting me off from making the 5-1-1 was wanting to buy a tiny bag of dolomitic lime (which was out at HD last time I went). Now I may as well get the bigger bag if I'm going to fill two tubs.

Woot! I feel a trip to the "big city" coming up... hopefully tomorrow, so I can visit the Habitat for Humanity ReStore and various thrift stores.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
Sponsored Products
Colonial Mills Georgetown Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug - Cedar Rose Multicolo
$22.98 | Hayneedle
LumenAria 48-Inch Semi-Flush with U-Clips
Bellacor
Nickel Floor Lamps: Omega 63 in. Satin Nickel LED Floor Lamp 3176-22
Home Depot
White Porcelain Round Soap Dispenser
TheBathOutlet
Eliot Bench - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Caroline Floral Rugs (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Tom Dixon | Form 6-Piece Tea Set