Raised garden bed questions

la_newgardenerJune 2, 2010

We built a raised bed for a vegetable garden with untreated fir wood. We want to keep this garden as organic as possible, couple of questions regarding this.

1. We want to stain the exterior to protect the wood from the rain/water damage. Is it OK to stain the interior?

2. Our planter bottom is built such a way that water drains nicely from the bottom. We want to use an interior liner on the sides to protect wood from the moisture. What is the best liner to use for vegetable planter? Is rubberized sealer a good choice?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

If you want to remain as organic as possible, then look for organic or natural product-based stains or sealers. SoyGuard is one brand name but there are others on the market.

If you use this type of sealer/stain on both the inside and outside surfaces of the wooden beds you will extend their life but not measurably so. Wood in contact with moist soil will decay gradually regardless of treatment. You should expect 5-8 years of useful life for the wood before replacement becomes necessary.

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™