Burpless cucumber

uscjustoApril 15, 2013

I'm planting these from seedlings bought at a local nursery. I'm using a 4 foot high tomato cage in my raised planter box versus a trellis.

Am I limiting the growth/yield by doing this??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyb912_IN(5a/5b)

Is your concern about the height or the material? How long do the vines get on your specific variety?

IME, climbing vines will climb up anything they can grab onto. If you're worried about height, try inverting a second cage on top of the first one and secure them together. A couple tall stakes inside or outside the cages could provide additional support if it seems like it needs it.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 1:55PM
z5gardener

I did the same thing with tomato cages last year and my cucs. I planted burpless and pickling cucs. I did not notice a bit less yield than when I left them on the ground. The plants seemed healthier and I did not have any insect issues (which have been a problem in the past). The vines will climb up and back down the cage then across the ground if you don't keep an eye on them, so I doubt they were any shorter.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 9:19AM
uscjusto

My concern is the height of the cage limiting the growth and also the shape of the cage not supporting or promoting proper vine growth.

I'll just see how it does since I'm probably not going to change it now.

The seedling cucumbers in the single pack I bought had 3 tiny stalks all next to each other. Am I supposed to let those all grow or do I pick the healthiest one and allow that one to grow by itself?

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 3:33AM
More Discussions
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™