almost there

Suzy11August 3, 2014

Hi! Two questions. I am about to repot a drawf blueberry bush. How do you use soil acidifier? Do you only put it ontop of the soil? Also, the bag said to apply it in 60 day intervels. For a blueberry bush did I repeat more than once?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

Elemental sulfur is insoluble, so it will be more effective if you thoroughly incorporate it. In order for it to lower pH, sulfur has to be metabolized by microorganisms, which takes time -- anywhere from months up to a year or more. Microbial activity declines as soil temperatures decline, so it will act more slowly (if at all) in fall and winter. The only way to know if you need to make further applications is to test the soil pH. Of course, if your previous applications haven't been fully metabolized, you run the risk of adding too much and lowering the pH too far.

This post was edited by shazaam on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 19:31

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 7:29PM
Suzy11

That is technical but I understand. The soil I will be using has a pH of 6 to 6.5 so if the highest I could have is 5.4 there is only a difference of six. so you think I only need one application?

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:31PM
Suzy11

If I put sa in the hole will the roots be ok? Do I also sprinkle to on top?

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:42AM
Suzy11

If soil acidifer. Takes too long, can I use Jack's acid?

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:51AM
shazaam(NC 7B)

While Jack's will help to maintain a lower pH over time, it's not suitable for lowering pH in the first place. As for your other questions, I don't know if one application of soil acidifier will be enough or not. All I know to suggest is to follow the directions on the product package and hope for the best. Next spring, check the soil pH. If it's still too high, you might consider adding more. To get the best results, you need to incorporate it throughout the soil as thoroughly as possible. This can be difficult, of course, if you're adding it to pot that's already planted.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
Fabric Pots - Decor Question
Good afternoon everyone. I'm thinking of growing a...
veegardens
Arabian Jasmine help
Hello I have had an Arabian Jasmine in a pot on my...
flyinbtsomypants (WestCent.FL Z9b-10a)
Sponsored Products
Stacy Garcia Seafan Black Giclee Big Kiss Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Corporate Picture Frame (11 x 17)
Overstock.com
Jordana Lia 3 in 1 Convertible Crib - Espresso - 4688E
$529.99 | Hayneedle
Slamp | Creatures Large Pendant Light
$750.00 | YLighting
Cole & Co. 36" Designer Series Carolee Hall Chest - Swirl Mahogany and Cherry Ve
Modern Bathroom
'XOXO' Chalkboard 3D Wall Sign
$34.99 | zulily
Wescott Face Cloth - SOFT OCHRE(TAN) (WASH CLOTH)
$7.90 | Horchow
Landmark Lighting Chadwick 66554-1-LED 1 Light Pendant in Medium Oak & OiLED Bro
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™