newly acquired Dischidia, Million hearts

hookilau(long island NY)August 20, 2012

I recently got my hands on several Dischidia cuttings via Ebay after an unfruitful search locally over the course of several weeks.

They arrived in a very light mix that looks like the 511 but with styrofoam balls in place of perlite, though I could be wrong. My plan is to pot up individual cuttings in a gritty mix. Since I see there are what look like aerial roots & I've read it's epiphytic, so I'm wondering if I should coil each cutting around the circumference of the 4" pot in order to get a nice full plant.

If you keep or have kept this plant any thoughts, advice or considerations would be greatly appreciated =)

Antoinette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Even w/o experience with the plant, it looks like you could just cut pieces with a couple of sets of leaves & lay them on the soil where they should root. Use a Ziploc bag with an opening at the top until the plants are rooted. That's what I'd do if your stated goal was my goal. ;-)

The coiling plan should work, too.

Al

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 4:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hookilau(long island NY)

Hi Al :) thanks for affirming that coiling is a viable idea. I like a neat habit & well, all the plants I saw online must've been neatly groomed on the regular (& mature) cause I can see how this plant can get outta hand :)

It has such a interesting habit, I thought someone might have additional ideas of how to display other than the usual hanging basket.

Antoinette

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™