Cherokee Purple

bigpinksAugust 28, 2011

The plant I have in an 18 gallon tote of the 5-1-1 produced really nice tasty tomatoes in July and then nothing. Too hot I guess. I continued treatment and it now has over 20 tomatoes again from marble to baseball size. I am pretty much taken with this variety but this is my first time growing it. I have seed I bought and prob will never have to but any again. Anybody still have CP doing well?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monet_g

My CPS are in a lull because of the mid summer heat, too. However, the first ones were great and I'm looking forward to the next round. Will surely grow this one again.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 10:02AM
lois(PA Zone 6)

I am growing CP in a 15 gallon pot which I think allowed the roots to get a little scorched when we had a couple weeks of 100 and near 100 degree days.

The CP got leaf roll, probably from heat from stress, and it never went away. Nonetheless, the plant continues to flower and fruit and looks better than some of the other tomato plants in a raised bed nearby.

The only problem now is ugly cracking from all the rain we are suddenly getting. I hope to transform the container into a self watering one next year which I hope will minimize the cracking.

I am planning on growing CP again, and also trying it's cousin "Indian Stripe" next year.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 11:46AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Same results here. I've got mine in a 15 gal container. Got a great early crop, then a lull. Now there is a whole new crop coming, but unless we have a record warm September, they probably won't ripen. I'm pruning the small ones, and focusing on a few larger ones hoping they'll ripen.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 12:34PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

This was my first CP grow this year also,fell in love with it from first bite also Russian Persimmonwas quite tasty before the disease monster befell all .

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 1:39AM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™