Those resin pots---or styrofoam?----pots

Judy LodinAugust 29, 2005

I bought several of those very light-weight pots yesterday at Garden Ridge. These are not plastic, but those that are meant to look like the real thing. These don't quite feel as substantial as resin---maybe even more light weight. I am using them as containers for the flimsy plastic nursery plastic pots inside, but would really prefer to plant the plants in these containers themselves and take them out o f the nursery pots. I'm wondering how these pots hold up to potting soil and watering. I just didn't want to fool with the heavy clay ones that dry out so quickly. Any comments or advice are appreciated very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Claudia2

Are these for water gardens (to be submersed) or are these pots that look like paper mache, but are meant to withstand freezing temperatures without breaking and help insulated the roots? If yes to the latter, I have two of these large pots for 3 years now and they are excellent. I drilled a drainage hole in each, added some pebbles and sand and potting soil. They take water without any problem and are very sturdy and light.

Hope this helps,

Claudia

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 10:18AM
Judy Lodin

Claudia, thanks a lot. These pots I have remind me more of paper mache than the heavier resin actually. They are going to be used inside the house.

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 10:47AM
ljrmiller(z7 NV)

I have used the styrofoam pots for several years now. They have done beautifully in spite of freeze-thaws and harsh weather. I drill several holes (3 for a 9" pot or more for larger pots) with a 1/2" spade bit to make the drainage better, but other than that, I use them as is.

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 3:23PM
mammie15

I love them. All my plants overwintered wonderfully in them, the styrofoam type, I mean.

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 12:34AM
More Discussions
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
Container Garden Vacation Watering
I'll be leaving for my wedding at the end of June and...
meawea
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
Sponsored Products
King Kooker 102-qt Ridged Stainless Steel Pot with Steam Basket and Lid
Overstock.com
White Greenball Planter - Set of Two
$32.99 | zulily
Select Luxury Medium Firm 9-inch Full-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Tan/Ivory 3 ft. x 5
Home Depot
Amazonia Aberdeen 5 Piece Teak Square Patio Bar Height Dining Set Multicolor - S
Hayneedle
Shepherd's Hook
$9.99 | zulily
ColourWave Fan Hose Nozzle - CW-912-FN-Y
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Terrarium Planter in White
$23.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™