Lime in Homemade Potting Soil

esreAugust 1, 2014

I wanted to try making potting soil but am new at this....does it matter what kind of lime is used? I have Sta-Green Rapid-Lime with Soluble Calcium but have seen others recommend Espoma Garden Lime...is there a difference between the two? I just don't want to ruin anything by using the wrong product.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

Hi E, The powder form is more available and quicker than the granular. If you have granular...you can put it in the blender and break it down. Dolomite (garden lime) with a calcium/magnesium ratio of 2-1 is perfect. This balances the acidic properties found in peat-based potting mixes.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:30AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I also recommend dolomitic lime. Do you know how much to use in your mix? Too much is worse than too little.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:43AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I also recommend dolomitic lime. Do you know how much to use in your mix? Too much is worse than too little.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:57AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Oh my goodness, I read the title and thought someone was mixing lime (Citrus ÃÂlatifolia) with potting soil...my bad. Sharing because of the absurdity of it all...

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:04AM
esre

Thanks for your replies. I'm confused whether I can use this lime in a homemade potting soil? I got it from near the grass seed section of the store- the bag says Sta-Green Rapid-Lime with Soluble Calcium.
I read about Al's 5:1:1 mix on the forum and wanted to try making it..I should've mentioned that before...

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:36AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

To add my 1 cent to this convo in a meaningful way. If it's pure lime (read the contents...hopefully they labelled) and not a bunch of other stuff, I'd feel free to mix it in cautiously.

Cautiously because more plants prefer neutral to acidic soil than higher alkalinities.....

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:38AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Do you have a goal as far as your PH is concerned? Depending on what you are planting, or just to reach a neutral state? It is easy to check the PH. A test kit for PH is easy to find. Al

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:38AM
esre

dbarron, It looks like it has Calcium 38%, magnesium 0.4%, humic acid 2%, lignin sulfonate 8%, but there are other things on the label I don't even know how to read (minimum ECCE 94.19%, calcium carbonate 95%, etc.).

calistoga, I wanted this soil for some basic house plants because I'm not having luck with the pre-packaged soils (I think they are too heavy and stay too wet); I was just going to follow the recipe exactly and see how they did...

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Repotting into 5-1-1 soil. Questions about 511 materials.
Hey all! I am a newbie with 5 container citrus. Right...
emilygreenie
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
Sponsored Products
Alfie Growing Pot
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Campania International Large Mesa Cast Stone Planter - P-438-AL
$589.99 | Hayneedle
Natural Antique Bronze Short Cylinder Halogen Flood-Light
$211.00 | Bellacor
Zoenen Pots - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Weatherwise Vista Square Tapered Planter
Signature Hardware
Carousel� Oval:5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Oval Rug Kid Essentials - Infants & Tod
$255.95 | Bellacor
Safavieh Handmade Antiquities Kasadan Olive Green Wool Rug (8' Square)
Overstock.com
Weston 6-inch Traditional Style Pasta Machine
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™