Plastic Swimming Pool?

lenaowensAugust 21, 2007

Hi everyone! I'm just getting started so excuse the stupid questions. I would LOVE some advice! Do you think a plastic kiddie swimming pool filled with topsoil would work ? (About 4 ft diameter) I'm in zone 8 (Las Vegas)...The pool seems very, very durable. Should I put rocks or sand in the bottom before I fill it with top soil? Do you think I should line it with black plastic first? Do I need holes in it for drainage and should the holes be near the middle or around the edges, if at all? Should I put bricks or concrete blocks under it to allow air to circulate underneath? I live in a small upstairs apartment facing North. I have a 10 x 10 balcony with a little bit of an overhand which provides some shade in the hot, hot evening. Is there anything that can be planted in Zone 8 this time of year? (August) Thanks so much for any and all suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Top soil turns into something quite different when used in a container. The use of good 'soil-less' potting medium is your best bet. If you spend a bit of time reading the many threads in this forum on potting mixes, you'll get the idea. Yes, you need to provide drainage holes. No, you don't need to add sand, gravel, or rocks in the bottom before you add the potting medium. I see no reason to line it with black plastic.

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 2:01PM
soil_lover

http://www.arts4all.com/elca/

Here shows the ultimate use of kiddie pool containers.

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 9:17PM
riggersons_gmail_com

It absolutely can work - and is actually being used to assist those in poverty around the world. See this article:

http://www.technologyforthepoor.com/UrbanAgriculture/Garden.htm

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™