Changing a Dry Stack Wall

aloha2009June 19, 2011

We currently have a beautiful dry stacked wall thats about 30" high. We HATE altering it at all but for traffic flow there isn't any good way around it. We need to install steps through/over it.

We've thought of 2 alternatives. We've thought of leaving the wall intact and installing deck type steps over it. Least expensive but may look cheezy.

Another would be to remove a portion (in the middle) of the wall and install imbedded steps. We're concerned though about the integrity of the wall. My DH has tweeked the ends with no problem but down the middle seems to be a whole other situation.

If you have another alternative, we are open for suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karinl(BC Z8)

These are our steps in a dry stack wall. You could also add something like this onto the front of the wall without actually disturbing it; you would only hide a portion of the wall behind the stairs. It would waste some stone but at least you'd be fairly confident of structure, as the wall would remain contiguous.

KarinL

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 7:45PM
stevega

30" is tall for dry stack. If you try to embed steps, you would have to totally redo a large area of the wall. You could do what karinl suggests using matching stone. You will probably have to mortar the steps unless the wall is made of 4" thick stone.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 5:08PM
aloha2009

We've got a few extra stones that we might be able to use. My DH isn't as fond of the natural look as I am but we could put some of the rocks in place and see what he thinks. The wall is about 12-15" thick.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
Help with paint colors and landscaping please!
Please help me create a home from this tiny house!...
H
Small Tree Suggestions
I have a 20 x 20 concrete patio that I'd like to put...
kristinainaustin
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
lifeflower123
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™