Cilantro in the 5-1-1

TheMasterGardener1(5B)August 3, 2012

Hi everyone. :)

I just planted some Cilantro seeds in the 5-1-1 and can't wait for a fall harvest of cilantro. Anyone know a place that is still selling seeds this time of year? HD seeds are not there anymore. I want to do more cilantro and would like to find some more seeds. Any ideas?

I will update it when the cilantro is growing nice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greentiger87

The grocery store.. cilantro (leaves) and coriander seeds are from the same plant.

Indian groceries stores sell large amounts of whole seeds for very cheap, but I doubt you need that many.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 3:55PM
tropicofcancer(6b)

Find an Indian family or an Indian store, get a handful of coriander seeds and throw it in the dirt. It is cheap stuff anyway. Here in Pittsburgh it re-seeds itself every year and I get way more cilantro than I can consume. It likes cool weather otherwise it will bolt very quickly. I always get a spring and fall crop. Some of the fall ones even survive through the winter. I think 511 mix is an overkill for cilantro. It grows like dandelions, in cracks, crevices, etc. Same with Arugula, Purslane and Mint. Anyway have fun and post pictures when you can.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 12:25PM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

Great info. Thanks!!!

I think I found a place to get those coriander seeds. I have a area in ground that is fenced off I am growing some more cilantro at. I know what you mean by just broadcasting them in the area I want to grow, its so easy :)

Thanks again.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 12:50PM
Paul_30068(7)

Pike Nursery in my area (Marietta, Georgia) seems to keep some seeds up for sale year round.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 1:43PM
tropicofcancer(6b)

Also once you have cilantro growing let one or two plants go to seed. Save those and next year can use some in early spring and then late summer. Store them dry. They tend to get these tiny bugs even inside a sealed bag.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 1:55PM
capoman(5a)

It might be a bit hot to start Cilantro seeds outside right now in your zone. Might be best to start some indoors, and plant out end of month for a fall crop.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 2:33PM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

Just an update on the Cilantro in the 5-1-1. They are growing fast! They have established way quiker then the ones in peat moss. Even for starting seeds peat moss just does not give results like the 511.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™