npk when blending water soluble ferts

k0ry15August 4, 2013

Hello everyone,
I wsant sure on where to post this but since all my plants are in containers i figured WTH. I was hoping someone could explain how to determine the final npk percentages if i for example wanted to blend a 3 lb. batch of fertilizer from multiple ferts, such as (ammonium sulfate, MKP, potassium sulfate, iron edta, etc....) Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

There is software you can download to help with the calculations. Without, it is a complicated mathematical process and not sure worth the effort. Why don't you just purchase a formulation close to what you need? The specific numbers are less critical than the ratios but even that is not cast in stone.

FWIW, I use one liquid fertilizer for all my containers - trees, shrubs, annuals, veggies & fruits, houseplants. All are perfectly happy.

Sometimes I think we get a little too involved with fertilizer specifics.......generally not necessary unless you are doing bigtime agriculture.

Here is a link that might be useful: nutrient calculator software

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 6:51PM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

k0ry15, it has been a long time since I have had to do this but here goes!
One gallon of water weighs 8.0 lb. (approx.). If you dissolve 1 lb. of ammonium sulfate in it, the new weight is 9.0 lb.
Ammonium sulfate contains 21% nitrogen.
1 lb. of ammonium sulfate will contain 0.21 lb. nitrogen.
We now have 9.0 lb. of a solution that contains 0.21 lb. nitrogen.
The percent nitrogen in the liquid is; 0.21 divided by 9.0, multiplied by 100.
The solution has an analysis of 2.33 - 0- 0. (NPK)
You can do this for each element and arrive at a final formulation for a blended mixture.
Hope this helps.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 7:41PM
k0ry15

thank you for the replies. i've tried hydrobuddy, but im not using a hydro set up. And im not really trying to blend a liquid fert necesarily, but a small batch of water soluble (basically a MG like fert )where i can adjust ratios. I understand that ratios are by weight, but get confussed when figuring in percentages of the salts. Example: Want a 5lb. total wt. 30-10-20 blend using urea, ammonium sulfate, MKP & sulfate of potash. i know 30% of 5lbs(2240 gms) is 1.5lbs(672 gms) of N. If urea is 46% & ammon. sul 21% and i use 336 g of each. it would only give me 225.12 gms of N which is about 10% of the 5lbs. im probably doing this completely wrong but i cant find any info on it except for blending liquid ferts. Again, thank you for the replies.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 10:56PM
jujustad(7B-8A)

Gardengal...may I ask what liquid fertilizer you use? I have container veggies.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 6:59PM
gardengal48

It's called Liquid GROW by Dyna Gro - 7-9-5.

BTW, it's when you combine nutrients with varying NPK's that you run into mathematical difficulties. Why not locate just a decent turfgrass fertilizer and call it good? These typically offer a 3-1-2 ratio........

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 4:17PM
prestons_garden(9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoCal)

k0ry15,

Let me know what salts you want to use and the desired ratio of N-P-K.

If I don't respond in a week, email me.

Ron

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™