Cucumbers in Earthtainer: downy mildew or 'overwatering'?

rkulagowAugust 15, 2011

I've got an Earthtainer of Cucumbers, and the leaves are turning yellow.

From what I've seen on the web, this is either some sort of mildew, or "overwatering", which I wouldn't think is possible with an Earthtainer, or a fertilizer issue.

I've attached a link with pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115147296441540826394/CucumberMildew?authuser=0amp;feat=directlink

Ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

alternaria

downy mildew if its downy it will have a gray fuzz on the back side of the leaf spot.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 6:22PM
rkulagow

OK, I'm not seeing anything on the backside of the leaves, like grey or black dots. So, alternaria looks like a good candidate.

A fungicide then?

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 6:27PM
terrybull

a fungicide can be sprayed on the plant. This can help reduce the damage from the plant, but frequently this will only lessen, not eliminate the problem.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 9:44AM
rnewste(8b NorCal)

I highly recommend spraying both the top and undersides of the leaves with a mild fungicide like Exel LG, or Actinovate. Depending on your region, you also may encounter Cucumber Beetles, which also spread leaf mold, and other diseases.

I'm growing County Fair, (left EarthTainer), Sweet Success (center) and Diva (right).

The Sweet Success are 3-times as productive compared to the County Fair and Diva:

Typically running in the 14 to 16 inch range:

Cukes grow quite quickly in EarthTainers. Here is a photo taken July 9 (Diva on the left, Sweet Success on the right):

And here they are on August 11, shooting through the rafters:

Raybo

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 3:17PM
rkulagow

From what I've read, I need to prune all of the yellowing leaves and then spray the rest with a fungicide. Where I live there's a farm attached to the subdivision, and every week the entire subdivision gets our kitchen vegetable waste and grass clippings picked up. I'm not sure if a compost pile gets "hot" enough to kill off the fungus, or am I going to cause a problem for the farmer next year...

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™