I found pine bark fines in Marietta, Georgia!

paul_30068(7)August 26, 2012

I have no affiliation with this company -- Wood-Tech out of Canton, GA -- I just wanted to share that I have successfully used their soil conditioner *AS-IS* for the pine bark fines ingredient in Al's 5-1-1 mix!

Since it is made of fully composted pine bark fines there are some small particles (maybe 15%) so I cut back on the sphagnum peat ingredient a little bit.

I bought this product labeled as "Aunt Nancy's Soil Conditioner". I don't know whether this is a stock or custom label. The distributor's website mentions that they offer private labels. I bought the product at Rick's Farmers Market in Marietta, GA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

Very nice! I still have to buy pine bark and sift it out. I end up with 5 gal of pine fine in the 1/8-3/8" range per 2 cuft of pine bark, the rest is used for decorative mulch. The 511 is the best mix I have ever worked with!

What are some plants you like to grow in the 511 Paul? I just planted a few parlor palms in it!

Here is one! :)

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 9:02PM
paul_30068(7)

Nice. I am growing veggies in containers. I started this year using Miracle Grow and learned the hard way that this doesn't work out so well in containers. It compacts down way too much and then perched water sits in the bottom all of the time.

Then I discovered this website and learned about 5-1-1. I took a tomato plant that had nearly drowned and brought it back to life in "pure" 5-1-1 (where I sifted) and now it is only second to a tomato plant that I put into my rose garden in the ground.

In addition I am growing eggplant in the mix and I just started from seed broccoli, spinach, cabbage, and some more raddish.

Next year I will try more veggies and deeper/larger containers (storage totes e.g.) and see how it goes. I would like to compare my potato yield out of a large tote with MG versus 5-1-1, e.g.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 8:03AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Good find, Paul. What are the prices like?

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 12:33PM
paul_30068(7)

I believe it was $3.26 per 2 cu ft bag plus 6% tax so $3.46 total.

I had been buying 2 cu ft soil conditioner bags from Walmart for a little less ($2.60 plus tax = $2.76) however you really have to sift that one and then you'll get 50% PBF; they are nicely sized and light, though. But for both money and time this new find is better.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
What size pot to use for sweet potatoes
Would someone please tell me what size pot I can grow...
zzackey
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Transplanting between containers
I'm looking for a rule of thumb for proper transplanting,...
cakbu z9 CA
Root bound jasmine separation
HI.. It is a first time I disturbed a rootball of...
amriteanukul112
Sponsored Products
Crosley Sedona 42 in. Cast Aluminum Patio Dining Table
$259.00 | Hayneedle
Minka Lavery | Artemis Ceiling Fan
$549.95 | YLighting
Deluxe Roman Arc Hammock Stand, Patio Furniture
$895.00 | FRONTGATE
Bel Air Lighting Pendant Lights Texas Star 3-Light Antique Bronze Pendant 263592
$58.00 | Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Concord Global Trading Rugs Persian Classics
Home Depot
Furniture of America Alana Marie Inspired Panel Bed - White - ENLB1428
$509.99 | Hayneedle
Spring Air Back Supporter Four Seasons Box Top Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set
Hayneedle
King Quilted Piazza Sham - KHAKI (KING)
$185.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™