Mini French Drain for raised garden?

ShanShan70June 16, 2014

I am building up my herb garden with retaining wall blocks. It's sort of triangular shaped measuring 8 ft x 6 ft x 10 ft. It will ultimately be about 2 feet deep with soil.

I bought 1" pvc pipe to make my own French drain. Will a pipe this size make any difference in drainage or functionality? (I know most of these drains are much larger in diameter) I am trying to prevent the breakdown of the walls over the years - we get some pretty heavy rains in the spring and summer in Denver, and I'd hate to see my pretty new herb garden flooded.

It's going to mean some extra work for me, but I want to do this project right as I have already invested many hours and too much money! On the other hand, if this small of a pipe won't make any difference to the structure, then why bother? Or, if this size of retaining wall is too small to warrant this type of drain system? The soil underneath is clay.

Thanks for your input.
Shannon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

I thought I knew what a french drain was until I came here, where there seem to be different definitions. Therefore, I can't say I know what you are creating and how you are doing it. You might want to sketch a cross section view and plan of the project, and explain the details ... the complete thing.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devolet

Big box home improvement stores have prefab French drains in ten foot sections for fifty bux. They are the black plastic drainage piping surrounded with pellets enclosed in a sleeve you sink into a trench, cap the end, and you can extend more piping with a joint connector to run the water away from the area that trickles through to the carrier pipe. There are more expensive designs a contractor can do for thousands of dollars. We have a middle range drain that runs along the front of our garage that fills a carrier basin that spills over into plastic drain pipes that run down hill along the side of the garage to the road below the house. I have to clean the basin out twice a year. The neighbor next door has a higher end French drain behind her house and along her garage that is accessible by grates over the top. Hers cost much more than ours. We are in the hills and the water comes down and around. The other side of our house has a flume fed by a drain and gravity carries the water down hill and under a sidewalk into a drainpipe to the sewer line.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 3:27AM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect?
Can anyone tell me what is the difference? I am considering...
forensicmom
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Sponsored Products
American Standard Jetted Bathtubs 4.25 ft. Left Hand Drain Walk-In Whirlpool
Home Depot
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S5404 Bathtub Faucet with Hand Shower - S5404BR
$844.92 | Hayneedle
Lyons Industries Bathtubs Victory 4.5 ft. Right Drain Bathtub in Almond brown
Home Depot
Ariel Bathtubs Air 5 ft. Walk-In Bathtub in White with Left Drain EZWT-3060 Air
Home Depot
Toto LT577 Undercounter Sink with Oval Basin - LT577#01
$77.84 | Hayneedle