Source for Turface in Houston??

jun_(8b-9a)August 14, 2010

anyone found a source for Turface MVP in Houston? I'm in NW Houston.

I can't find Schultz soil conditioner either, which is supposedly a good substitute for turface.

Do any of the big box stores have it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
col_sprg_maters(Front Range 5)

google says : Ewing Irrigation
Mon-Fri: 7 to 5
Sat: 8 to 12
5260 Brittmoore Rd
Houston, TX 77041-
Phone: (713) 937-3799

Here is a link that might be useful: Ewing irrigation

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 4:44PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Or Southwest Fertilizer @ 5828 Bissonnet 713-666-1744

A yellow pages search for John Deere Landscapes in your area would also likely reveal sources.

Al

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 5:31PM
jun_(8b-9a)

that was fast, thanks!

Al, can I skip the grit/granite altogether? Here in Houston, it gets so hot that even the large 20" containers need watering every day. I was thinking of doing 1:1 pine bark and turface, and maybe watering every other day.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 8:11PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I include the grit for 3 reasons - because I don't need all the extra water retention, because it adds to soil longevity by allowing me to keep the organic fraction of the soil at 1/3 or less (and not have too much water retention), and varying the amount of grit/Turface while keeping the bark fraction at 1/3 or less adds (water holding) adjustability to the soil. The equal parts recipe is only a suggestion, based on my own experiences and the reports I get from others in different climes. The important part is that you understand the reasons for the different ingredients and the concept behind the soil. It's not a soil I'm pushing, it's the idea that durability/long term aeration are a very desirable properties in container media. If you do understand the reasoning and you happen to run into difficulty, you'll know how to fix it.

Good luck, & take care.

Al

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 8:55PM
ykerzner(9 TX)

Southwest Fertilizer has 50-pound bags for 15 dollars (I think). Granite can be obtained from Quality Feed and Garden company.http://www.qualityfeedco.com, 50 pounds for $12.95.

It's pine bark fines that get me here. You can buy 3-cubic-foot bags of pine bark mulch at SW Fertilizer for 4 bucks, but then mowing and sifting takes a long time. Where do you buy them?

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 1:33AM
ltruett(Zone, 9 Houston)

I haven't found what I would consider a good source of pine bark fines in the Houston area either. I usually just buy pine bark nuggets and put them through a chipper/shredder. There is a mulch/dirt company that use to sell pine bark fines but stopped because there was wasn't enough demand.

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 8:41AM
jun_(8b-9a)

this is what I use, but it's finer than pine bark. But I think I can get away with it because I really do need the additional water retention. I do not overpot my plants, so perched water table is minimal:

Lowe's has 40 lb bags of topsoil....but it's not really topsoil, it's more like decomposed fine pine plus sand. It's only $1 a bag. It's so fine and pretty I need to take a picture of it.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 1:13AM
JJarrett

Any real answer to this question? I did get Turface at the place on Bissonett a few years ago, but I live in Katy now and am never down in that area.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Sponsored Products
Broadway Linear Crystal Chandelier by James R. Moder
$750.00 | Lumens
Beige Lines Embroidered Sheet Set - Cal King
Crane and Canopy
Queen 600TC Solid White Fitted Sheet - WHITE (QUEEN FITTED)
$214.00 | Horchow
Rivendell Etruscan Gold Four-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 15W
Bellacor
Flos | Lastra 8 Rectangular Pendant Light
YLiving.com
Expo Kitchen Cart - 80037
$212.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™