Adding Compost to garden after planted?

tammysf(9b/10a or sz15/16)April 25, 2009

we have a pretty hearty compost going and I was wondering if it would be beneficial to add compost to my vegetable garden later in the season...

is this a good idea or not? i want to add nutrients but not cause any harm to my plants..

if so, how do i do it? how often?

thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

I use compost as mulch whenever I have enough. It's rare to have "enough" but sometimes it works out that way. Keep it away from the stems of plants and make sure it's "finished" and smells earthy instead of sour or vinegary and it should be fine.

Sandy

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 5:35PM
jonnys(9 Orlando Fl)

As sandy said, it can be used as a mulch/top dressing. I do this when I have the time/compost on most all of my plants.

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 6:32PM
tomacco(7)

I just put a scoop of well composted manure on top of all my squash mounds.

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 8:04PM
tammysf(9b/10a or sz15/16)

does it matter that this isn't manure compost but stuff from kitchen and browns from yard?

it is soil like, not slimey but i have not smelled it yet...i'll make my husband.

do you think i can do this in lieu of fertilizing with miracle gro or something similiar?

how often should i do this? every 2 weeks?

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 12:22AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

does it matter that this isn't manure compost but stuff from kitchen and browns from yard?

No. Better in fact as manured compost requires longer processing before use around food.

do you think i can do this in lieu of fertilizing with miracle gro or something similiar?

Compost worked into the soil provides nutrients immediately. Compost used as mulch doesn't. It takes time for the soil food web to work it down into the root zone. Whether or not you will also need supplemental nutrients all depends on your soil nutrient levels.

how often should i do this? every 2 weeks?

There is no set time plan. That will all depend on your weather and soil activity and how thickly you apply it.

If you haven't already done so you may want to check out the many discussions on this issue over on the Soil & Composting forum here.

Dave

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
what do I do with sprouting sweet potatoes?
It way to early to plant the sprouts.. need to be near...
jeanwedding
What's Growing On Inside This Winter
Been getting all my vegetables started for my spring/summer...
onkloudnyne
Storing onion sets
I purchased a bag of onion sets for growing as green...
rgress
Boo hoo! Purple sprouting broccoli didn't survive the winter!
I was looking forward to early broccoli this year....
ffreidl z5a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™