landscape edging ideas needed

SistereinsteinJune 2, 2012

I want to replace the wood edging as seen in the picture, which is 9" high, but I can't find anything that seems to work for that space. The only plausable option are bricks,they would need to be 3 bricks tall, and my concern is they wouldn't be stable unless i use mortar, which I really don't want to do.

So I have 2 quesetions

1) Can I dry stack bricks 3 tall?

2) Is there a better idea?

Here is a picture and I look forward to your feedback!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Can you scrape away enough soil/mulch, whatever that is, down to the grass level or slightly below if you want to use a layer of mulch again. Sink the shrubs correspondingly lower. Banked up soil will do a number on your house's wood. Get rid of the timbers and do a simple trench edge - tools needed would be a sharp flat head spade and a hoe to smooth out the edge.

Lots of trench edging tutorials on the internet. Always looks neat and once accomplished it's easy to get out any grass that might encroach on the trench.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 4:46PM
yardvaark

I "second" duluth's suggestion. It doesn't look like there needs to be a retaining wall. Reduce the height a little and blend the grade. Not only would it be good to reset the plants at slightly lower elevation, but they're too close to the house, too. They should be 30" off the wall, not 12", so there's a second reason to re-do them.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 5:08PM
designoline6(Z6)

You could do it even with rock.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 9:36PM
oceandweller(8B)

cinder block is cheap and so is paint :). I was wondering the same thing recently and Deviant/Karen helped me out with the idea of doing a tiled mosaic on the cinder block. I agree, plantings are far too close to the house, easy fix would be get some metal landscape stripping to get it off the house.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Drainage issues!
Hoping the drainage experts can contribute. We have...
mrsgoss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™