Ideas for fall planting in containers

love2gardenncAugust 13, 2012

A club I am working with is going to do a small class (about 15 to 20 people all novice gardeners) on container gardening in mid september. The thought so far by another member is to do a pansy, a bulb (daff) and a lettuce plant. I suggested perhaps a low growing sedum.

I knew the place to go for other ideas, never a time that I can't find the answers here.

Thanks for any assistance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Love, we might be a bit confused about the purpose of the class. Are you looking for suggestions for one demonstration container, or many ideas from these creative people?

One of my favorite winter containers was a shallow (5 inch) terra cotta tray in which I had sowed a nice thick crop of winter rye. Hidden in the soil were spring bulbs; muscari, crocus, and some lovely tiny bunching daffodils. What a treat when they began to break through my little patch of bright green grass.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 8:22AM
rina_

I like idea of winter rye - that probably looks very nice!?
have to try that...

For fall containers/display, anything would look nice. If the purpose is to grow it out in spring, bulbs are definitely good. Hardy sedums, grasess, hardy ivy, creeping jenny. Even a small evergreen or a boxwood as a centerpiece would look great & last until spring. Could be surrounded with anything low-growing including edibles...

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 9:51AM
love2gardennc

Each participant will do their own container. I have been asked to help with different ideas because in our community I am known for time spent in the garden. The problem is I know nothing about container gardening. I need ideas like you both have given me. The ladies doing the class will try to have a couple finished containers to show different ideas and how plants can work together. I am gathering plants as ideas are found. So far I have potted up heuchera seedlings and baby Lamb's ear.
I love the rye grass idea and will definitely use the creeping jenny in another one as I have tons of that.
Thanks so much and keep the ideas coming.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 10:40AM
rina_

Heuchera will go with so many plants...if for shadier location, maybe lady's mantle, siberian bugloss, 'cascading' type grass like japanese forest grass, creeping jenny, hosta, ferns (I love Maidenhair and Japanese painted and Ghost fern), and for something taller solomon's seal...

For sunnier location you still could use heuchera, even with lamb's ear - and just about any other perennial or annual will go with lamb's ear. Cabbages would look good with it too.
Or you can create more monochromatic container with other silvery plants (artemisia, dusty miller, licorice plant, silver sage, blue fescue...) I would plant euphorbia 'Diamond frost' in that container too...Rina

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 8:30PM
haleygrow

Planting in containers is a great idea. I usually plant flowers, herbs and other small plants in it.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 4:12AM
More Discussions
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™