Smashed and screened hydroclay as Turface alt?

howelbama(7 NJ)August 9, 2011

Hi,

Anyone think broken up hydroclay pebbles would work as a turface alternative in the gritty mix?

I have a bunch that I am not using and would rather make use of it than purchase a 50 lb bag of Turface.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
howelbama(7 NJ)

Decided to get the turface and do it right. :) I'll save the hydroclay to use ase mulching my containers that donthave the gritty.

Made my first batch today. Got turface all sport from John Deere, repti bark fir bark fines from petco, and gran-i-grit starter mix from agway today.

Used 1/4 inch hardware cloth and sifted the bark, then screened all ingredients for dust and sediment.

Added tsp gypsum per gallon of mix.

Mixed thourougly, stuff looks and feels awesome in person lol... Can't wait to see what kind of results I get with it.

One note about the reptibark... I see that some people on this forum use it straight out of the bag, I think it really should be sifted to size and screened... It sifted about 3gallons of pieces out of my portion for a 5 gallon batch. I also screened well over a cups worth of fine dust from the bark.

The package does say it is screened already, but I personally found quite a bit of dust....

Not sure if the screening is necessary, just want to share my personal experience with that product.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™