views into the woods / 'windows'

still_lynnskiJune 9, 2010

I've heard this concept mentioned, and am hoping that someone can offer more detail about how to achieve it. I understand the idea of choosing particular views within a very wooded area, but how does one create the "windows" that frame or give access to those views? Would you cut the growth that blocks the view straight down to the ground? I don't want a path into the woods at every point where there's a special view. Would you cut back all the growth to a certain height for a couple of feet across to provide the window? Thin the growth to provide glimpses of the view through the window?

I wonder if I'm taking the idea of "windows" too literally? All suggestions welcomed, thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inkognito

"I wonder if I'm taking the idea of "windows" too literally?" it seems like it. Instead imagine the 'window' with Venetian blinds over it, you part the layers to gain a glint of your view, that is the effect I think.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 6:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Let's say you have three exceptionally pretty spots - a nice rock, a striking flowering tree and a clump of bluebells in a clearing.

Instead of "window" think "peephole" and thin the growth between the path and the woods, or the viewing point and the woods, enough so you can get a glimpse to a full view of whatever it is.

YOu don't want a cleared tunnel to the spot - just a natural-looking thinned woods.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™