Looking for old fashioned green bean taste

tduneventApril 15, 2012

I would like to plant some pole beans this year and I'm looking for suggestions. The ones that I purchase from my grocer or farmer's market do not taste like I remember them tasting as a kid. My mom has also said many times that the green beans she buys do not taste like they used to.

Can someone recommend a pole bean variety that will be a good producer and have a good flavor like I remember?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Well taste/flavor is both a personal thing and dependent on the growing conditions and soil provided so what is good old fashioned flavor to one will not be the to others. And you and I can both grow the same variety and they will taste different to us. When they are picked will also make a big difference in flavor.

The link below is to one of the many recent discussions about favorite pole beans and you'll find even more info over on the Beans forum here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite pole bean discussion

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 7:02PM
planatus(6)

Many green bean fans will say that the old-time "greasy" beans taste best, but I think the white half runners have it all -- vigor, great flavor, and they make fantastic "shelly" beans, where some immature beans are cooked with the snaps. I think that's where you get the best flavor, because the "pot liquor" created by the little beans enriches the broth. Mountaineer, White state half runners and others have flattish pods, and I think flat pod shape generally means meatier beans. The half-runners have strings, but because the pods are relatively short, the string usually come off with one pull. And don't be misled by the half-runner name; I've seen them run 10 feet.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 8:04AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Kentucky Wonder. That's my best bet for greenbean flavor. They do need stringing if the pods start getting big.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 9:26AM
txtom50(8a texas)

I think Kentucky Wonder has the best taste, but I don't grow them anymore cause I hate to string them. Also, most folks boil their beans in a couple of quarts of water. The old fashioned way is to simmer over very low heat with only a tiny bit of water to start. Then the beans cook out their own liquid. But it takes a lot longer to cook that way.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 5:46AM
macmex

Here's a link to a site with many of those old fashioned beans. Bet you can find one you'd really like in Bill Best's listings.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Appalachian Beans

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 9:43AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

My family, subsistence farmers, all grew Kentucky Wonder. To get green beans to taste like my grandmother's one would have to add so much pork belly that some modern cooks would have a coronary just reading the recipe.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
ancient
this news just in-23 year old lettuce seeds do not...
davids10 z7a nv.
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
Row covers for warmth
Couple questions about using row covers mostly for...
joeschmoe80
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™