Cucumbers getting small holes and collapse of leaf

tflintonApril 3, 2008

Hi,

I'm beginning some cucumbers in pots inside my house under a fluorescent lamp they have been growing well until recently I noticed some very small holes (barely even noticeable by the naked eye) on both of the plant's leaves. The plant itself looks healthy but i've also noticed some spots where the leaf is collapsing, the edges of the leaf are slightly yellow as well.

Since this has always been indoors what are the suggestions for remedying this? It's obviously not the work of a large cucumber beetle and it doesn't seem to fit the pattern of fungus. I have noticed some ants hanging around the garden but from what I understand they don't like cucumbers.

Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
midnightgardener(9)

How much do you water the plants? Do you keep the roots wet all the time?

Here is a link that might be useful: Enter To Win $50.00 Of Seeds Of Your Choice

Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 11:52PM
tflinton

I water about every other day, they have about 6 leaves. I measured the PH and it's around 7, a little low nitrogen but phosporous, potassium are all at medium levels.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 2:33AM
hatchjon

hi tflinton,

Tiny puncture holes with collapsed leaf could be the work of a "true bug". These bugs have a proboscis that they puncture plants with to suck out juices. The bugs also inject a substance that breaks down plant material to make it easier to suck up. A squash bug is one type of true bug and there are many others, some that attack other insects instead of plants.

This is just one possibility. The hole and collapsed leaf material leads me to believe it is some sort of insect attack though.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 6:00AM
tflinton

these bugs must be really small as I can't see any of them anywhere (unless ants could do this type of damage).

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 3:29PM
hatchjon

Hi again,

Search the leaves very closely and be sure to examine the underside and stem. There could be tiny bugs like aphids on them. Holes usually mean bugs for sure.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 6:00PM
tflinton

So the small holes have progressed into large brown patches on the leaves, i've posted some photos of it here. What could his be? I doubt it's an insect/pest problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cucumber Photos

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™