Potted Garden, 2 months young

gee.geeAugust 26, 2011

Hi, all -

Been lurking here for months. I'm an utter noob at gardening, I've been known to kill cactus in the past, e.g., decimated a gift 7YO bonsai plant in a matter of weeks. That said, as a kitchen-hobbyist, I''ve oft drooled at the idea of homegrown herbs and vegs, so this summer, gave it a shot.

I've cherry tomatoes, bells, mini bells, basil, eggplant, mesclun, ONE sunflower (these things got heads that are way too big for their britches), green onions, stevia. I threw out a leftover sweet potato spud for birds to nosh on, but lo and behold, it sprouted leaves, and to make it short, I'm not sure if I'm getting spuds but I've been harvesting its bountiful leaves for soups and salads. Whatever has ended up in our food, except for tomatoes, the flavors have been amazing! (*epiphany!*)

So it's been good, so far. Of course, I now know I started REALLY late if I wanted any summer offerings, so we'll enjoy the fruits of labor this fall. Also learned some pots I'm using are way too small, so will fix that for next plantings. That I'm better with transplants than starters. That earthworms are good; hornworms, very bad. And learned many, many other things, as well as making many mistakes ;D

Anyhow, re posting pics, I wanted to follow the Preview-Browse-Submit protocol, but the Browse button was unavailable during Preview Message. So, just wanted to thank everyone here who've shared their photos, expert input, and experiences... I've learned so much from you!

Gardening does the body good ;D

Cheers,

G.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

Welcome. Always good to have another gardener.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 9:32AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Welcome and I'm glad you've decided to stop lurking and join the conversation. It's great that you were brave enough to try growing so many different kinds of plants. The more you grow, the more you learn.

I'm not sure what you mean about the browse button when trying to post a photo. I've never seen it. I just select Preview after writing my message with a link to a photo in it. If you've done it right, you will see your photo in the message preview.

I'll post a link below to the GW directions for posting a photo. Upload your photos to a website like photobucket.com or Flickr.com, and then follow the directions.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to insert a photo

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 1:11PM
gee.gee

Thanks; finally signed onto photobucket. Here goes...

I've a tiny 10X12 concrete yard off our dining room, hence the containerized plants:
[IMG]http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/geegarden/garden1.jpg[/IMG]

Max, the cat, kinda agrees it's become a cool space instead of the old repository for kids' toys, a kayak, etc.,.:
[IMG]http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/geegarden/garden2.jpg[/IMG]

Mesclun growing in a colander:
[IMG]http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/geegarden/garden3.jpg[/IMG]

These are grown from slips off a cut-up throwaway sweet potato (kamote). I harvest the leaves for soups and the younger leaves for salads. It's prolific, so must harvest weekly. What we can't use, we share with friends ;D :
[IMG]http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/geegarden/garden4.jpg[/IMG]

Still learning here ;D

Thanks,
G.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden in august

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 8:54PM
gee.gee

Sorry, that didn't quite work... Once more, with feelings.

Thanks; finally signed onto photobucket. Here goes...

I've a tiny 10X12 concrete yard off our dining room, hence the containerized plants:

Max, the cat, kinda agrees it's become a cool space instead of the old repository for kids' toys, a kayak, etc.,.:

Mesclun growing in a colander:

These are grown from slips off a cut-up throwaway sweet potato (kamote). I harvest the leaves for soups and the younger leaves for salads. It's prolific, so must harvest weekly. What we can't use, we share with friends ;D :

Still learning here ;D

Thanks,
G.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden in august

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 9:07PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Your garden is lovely. Cats always know where the good vibes are. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 8:20AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Well done!

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 2:28PM
gee.gee

Thanks kindly for the props ;D. Gardening, in this short time, has taught/is teaching me so much. For years, I've been the receiving end of gardener friends' fruits of labor... I soon hope to be giver soon too *crossing my fingers & hope the plants don't all of a sudden keel & die on me ;D*

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 11:25PM
suncitylinda

Ahhh, plants and animals, its all good! Welcome, Linda

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
Replacing potting mix
How often should old potting mix be washed entirely...
Gary
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
Hydrophobic potting soil
The potting soil in some of my containers has become...
patio_garden
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Sponsored Products
Laundry baskets (s/2)
Origin Crafts
Chateau Garden Rug 9' x 12' - BROWN FLORAL
$2,099.00 | Horchow
Butterfly Floral Garden Hat
$9.99 | zulily
Latigo Leather Multi Leash, Brown
The City Farm
Yorkshire Right-facing Armchair
Grandin Road